Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Taiwan is a 好地方

我很懶... too lazy to type in Chinese, even though everything that i wanted to write in this blog was thought out in Chinese. I am just gonna do a translating job here.

Just came back from Taiwan. Very sleepy and tired. I'm old, a 24-hour flight really took a lot out of me. It's been two days and i'm still tired from it. Maybe today's school has something to do with it as well. I walked a lot today from subway to classrooms and then back and forth between the bookstore and 2 different copy centres. I don't understand why the prof would put her readings at a copy centre all the way up on Bloor street when her office and the majority of our classes are on College street?! So dumb... it was cold walking that far distance carrying over 5kg of books.

So I'm back..........................
Back to T.O., back to reality. 10 days in Taipei flew by in a blink. I'm singing the post Taiwan blues now~
I've always wondered why i get so unfamiliar with my own home back in taipei. I forgot how different bathrooms are back there, it perplexed me why the house needs sweeping every single day, i didn't know where anything was placed at, i didn't even know how to dispose garbage. Then it hit me. I've only lived in that house for 4 years! For heaven's sake i've lived in the house i'm living in for over 3 years, lived at 362A Johnson for 3 years, and the house in surrey for 5 years! Looking back, i've been all over the place in my life and the time i've spent in the taipei home was really minimal compared to the others! That really surprised me, coz i've always considered taipei my "home home," not surrey, not kingston, not toronto.
I still love taiwan very much. It took me a few days to get used to it, but i quickly blend in and lived like a local. The food and the shopping definitely helped. ;) But i loved the efficiency of taiwan, ie. #1 i was sick for over a week before i went back, and the symptoms did not seem to improve with time, but as soon as i took my dad's medicine, 3 days was all it took and everything was fine. No more coughing, no more phlegm or sniffles, amazing. ie. #2 there are lines for ppl to line up at subways, i love that, and ppl directing the crowd. there's also policemen directing traffics at major intersections. Taipei ppl know their traffic is bad therefore they have these police helping (unlike Toronto). ie. #3 there is even ppl directing customers lining up to buy 雕魚燒! Another thing i love about Taiwan is that Taiwanese ppl try to do their job very politely, even if their job demand assertiveness; unlike Canadians or Americans especially, the two concepts will never go together. You either be mean/rude to get your way, or you be soft/push over and lose your voice. This really annoys me. Like the lady who worked at the airport at the baggage conveyer belt yelled at me for standing there, wanting to see that my luggages actually get sent into the little hole.
Anyhow, taiwan is a beautiful nation, the culture is unique and the ppl are friendly. Even in a busy city like Taipei, you can still find caring and compassion, i imagine that there will be more in smaller cities throughout the country.
I can't wait to go back again, i miss it already (but i don't miss the 蹲式馬桶, it's just gross) and i miss my family a lot. You can probably guess that this is pms talking again...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i miss Taiwan too.

But i was blue when you weren't here.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Jack! Hope you'll settle in really soon. Good luck with the new courses! Must catch up some time soon!

Anonymous said...

Shoot, forgot to link to my new "6 -month-old" blog...

Anonymous said...

yeh... Taiwan rocks for a lot of things... the only downside is the air... I get allergies every time I get back now. Very unfortunate.

SO glad to see you back :) (and new entry too:)

Anonymous said...

i forgot to add one thing:

蹲式馬桶 ROCKS!!!!

Ying-Hsu said...

Taiwan rocks
that's why i came back
i would say the only downside is the media~~
you get use to the air, i had very serious allergy before, but i got used to it and it is ok now..

Unknown said...

me too, i had allergies every morning after i woke up... sneezing and discharge non-stop.

but then when i come back here, i got nose bleed coz the air is too dry.

i always wonder if women who live in north america age faster coz the air here is so dry that gives aging wrinckles...

Unknown said...

Ditto to that! Sarah

Anonymous said...

Yah, enough is enough. Taiwan is Taiwan. WE are not ruled by China so suck it up.