Friday, November 09, 2007

"thank you" builds self-esteem

I am working on my seminar presentation these days. My topic is self-esteem in adolescents. I don't think the notion of self-esteem is that well established in the Taiwanese culture. You can disagree with me, but from what i remembered, students in taiwan were taught to be humble and not to show any signs of ego. Even when someone compliments you, you are supposed to say things like "no, you think too highly of me." I believe that puts negative effect on an adolescent's self-esteem. Research has shown that self-esteem is crucial to an adolescent's healthy development. However, how do you develop positive self-esteem when you are constantly telling yourself that "no, i am not that great?" Is the culture of "humble-ness" killing our adolescents' self-esteem? Maybe it is different over there now? because i see lots of kids acting very ego-centric, as if the world is all about them.
I still remember when i was 13 and just moved to Vancouver, during a one on one session with an ESL teacher, she complimented on my spelling ability. Naturally i responded by "no... i am not that good," then she said to me "Jackie, you have to learn to just say 'thank you' when someone says something good about you. Remember that. now, let's try this again..." then she said "Jackie, your spelling is very good" and i said "thank you." I will never forget the lesson that i learned that day... Even till today, when a colleague or friend thanks me for helping her out, i would always say "oh, no, it's nothing," no matter how much trouble it cost me. i need to just say "you're welcome" in the future. I believe this will enhance my self-esteem. So if you ever come across a child who does this, do her/him a favor by telling her/him to just say "thank you."

2 comments:

pandaming said...

thank you.

FT said...

no Q~