Thursday, February 23, 2006

Since I've received the news of this patient of mine whom I took care of had passed away 2 days ago, he is all I've been thinking about. I don't know why he has brought so much thought upon me, coz there has been many many other patients whom I also took care of and have passed away and I have not thought of them as much as this little guy. Plus the fact that I only took care of him for 2 days whereas others I might have taken care of them for many many days. This guy was barely conversable, because even if he was healthy, he wouldn't be able to, and on top of that he was very very sick. I am very sorry that he wasn't getting better care while he was with us, but I think I did the best I could to look after him. I never knew him before he got sick but I know he was a very special one.
Good thing that I had a very very cute 5 months old baby yesterday and the day before that I got to spend time with alone to take my mind off the sad news (coz his mom wasn't there). He is the cutest thing ever. He only cries when he is hungry or when he has poopy diaper. After he was fed, I would wrap him up and put on the TV for him to watch (mostly the Canadian Olympic games, coz I wanted to see it myself), and he would actually follow the show!!! He was soooo adorable, that I fell in love with him right away. My motherly nature would arise only when I meet such good baby. :) I think if it weren't because I am still single, I would have had a baby myself already.

2 comments:

FT said...

Nica has plenty of mother nature as well. she's giving them all to cookie. Whenever I see her talking to cookie I felt like she's talking to her son. So adorable~

hy said...

I understand of how you feel when hearing the news. Or even witnessing of how human beings dying in front of you, and hearing how families are mourning besides their love ones.

There are couple of them whom I haven't been forgotten, they meant something to me in my life.
I believe this is a gift from Him that we can be a nurse. Let's treasure the gift from Him.

Sometimes I even think may be He knows that I couldn't handle mine, and that's how I becoming a nurse, and getting "trained" to face the death. So when I'm dealing with my love ones', I have a bit of expectation, and could be a bit "easier" for me.

All I know is that after death, there's a place for us to go, we will see each others there. So death is actually a start of a "new life".

The following is a nurse's prayer, that I like a lot:

"Please let me know the blessings of a nurse's heart that's filled with love. A touch of kindness and gentle care.

To help patients' hurts and hear their cries.
'Til smiles of thanks gleam in their eyes.

It doesn't matter whether patients know that I'm there or not, but that may my patients be blessed with the love of God through me! So that His name is gloried, but not mine.

My work is true, please let it show.
We are blessed by You, this I know!"