Thursday, March 23, 2006

Hey, what's up with you guys that no one is updating their posts these days?! Did you know that checking ur blogs have become one of my daily routines? So don't make me miss my routine.

So here is a thought for the day: How do you know if you truly love a person?
If you happen to read yeterday's Toronto Star, you might have come across a news regarding organ donation. There is a huge picture of this boy who i've known since he was 9 or 10 on the front page. He is now 13 and he is waiting for lung transplant. So he was at this conference where ppl are lobbying for the public to consent to organ donations. His mom has always been there for him. So i thought: if i were his mom, would i give him my lungs so he can live a longer/better life? Never mind if it is worth it or not (coz the prognosis is always unpredictable), just thinking about whether i would give up my life for my son is a tough question. This is probably because i am not a parent. But then i turned the question around and asked myself: if ming needed my lungs, would i have given it to him? And right away, i thought "yes, of course, no matter what reason, i would." (By this time, ming probably should be very touched bah.) So if you ever want to figure out if you truly love someone, just think "would i give this person my lungs?" That way ur question would be answered. :)

4 comments:

Melanie孜 Hua said...

Just happened to browse through and read your post. It is a very interesting question to ask to see if you love someone. As a mom, I don't know if you can equate love for your child/ren to love for your significant other.
If it were me, I would do it for my children, but I probably won't for him. It is not just the kind of love that is different, but the responsibilities involved after such action play a significant role in the decision making process. This is probably getting too complicated for what you have in mind. But how to love and what does it mean to love sure is a question I have been pondering the past year.

FT said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
FT said...

I actually feel the same way as well. I don't think you can compare love for your kids to your significant others. Then again, I would do it for Nica too. Just that I would look for other alternatives before making the decision, it'd be pointless if she survived and you can't live as long to be with her just because you gave one of your lungs to her. There are a lot of organ donners out there~

pandaming said...

thanks for both of your comments (altho we seem to have a new reader in the crowd~) and yes, this is the future organ recipient who's so touched by my sweetie's gesture that i am out of words~

then again, jack, i would not allow you to do such thing for me~ i tend to agree with both comments that the love for one's offspring is a bit different then the your other half..... meaning the responsibility towards both is slightly different.... things can be further complicated whether we have children together or not...because once there's family involved..the pure question of 'love' is mixed with also 'responsibility' and duties... how do we decide who should live on and who shouldn't... as in who's survival would be best for the loved ones left behind.... i hope that we never have to come down to that... like lance said, it seems that we probably should explore other options first (but i know what you meant as a last resolution~) ... then again, if circumstance would to differ, for example, if we are on a sinking ship and there is only one life jacket left...then i would for sure give you the one... i ask myself if that would be the same with the whole 'lung' situation... seems similar...yet slightly different (probably all these years of growing up with the values we've been given, i guess..)

anyway.. i love you, for what you said..but i don't want you making such silly decision..what would be left for me in life if i had to live on at the expense of your life?? ( i am assuming that a person can't live after giving up your lung, right?)