Thursday, August 31, 2006

Mall biz'

I don't understand what this world has become of... I don't know if this applies to all the malls out there, but this is what happened at the mall closest to our place today. A cute old ojisan was using his digital camera to take some photos of the mall, coz there was some really pretty sky lights. He looked like some nice old chinese grandpa, probably visiting his family here in Canada or something. Then a security guard came up to him and said "no, you are not allowed to take photos in the mall, no pictures!" I don't understand why!!! This security guard was a little nicer than one that we ran into the other time at my hospital. We were taking photos with ming's mom and aunt inside the hospital (she was visting from Taiwan), then a guard started screaming at us, sitting down at her station, 6 feet away, "hey! hey! hey! you cannot take photos!" So loud that the whole hospital could hear her. I was so pissed, coz it laid a bad impression for ming's mom and his aunt. How could a hospital staff be so rude?! So this whole "no pictures inside a mall, a hospital, maybe in the airport too," i don't know, is probably all measures against terrorism, but it has made this world so much less personable and less kind. So sad~
Anyhow, it was nice to shop at the mall by myself today, i haven't done that for a while now.

6 comments:

pandaming said...

she was more than 6' away......very loud as well.... we should have turned on the flash and see what she would do..hahah

then again, being who we are...we just walked...

Anonymous said...

Yup, sometimes I wish I were a better talker so people won't run all over me.
Hey, I haven't shopped by myself for...almost 3 years neh!

Anonymous said...

As a photographer, I am pretty sure you are allowed to take pictures at any public accessible place regrardles of what the security guys say(freedom of expression, blah, blah, blah). The problem is that a mall is technically a privately owned place. The security may not be able to legally stopping you from taking pictures; he can, however, kick you out. If you come back to take pictures, you would be trespassing...

FT said...

See.. that's when you take photos with a tiny camera while they are not looking.
I do that all the time. It's fun, feels like 007. You guys should try it next time~

FT said...

Or you can say that, my dad told me to come here to take a few photos of his mall.

Or you can say that, I am the marketing director of this mall, we are doing a research on the flow of the customers so I need to take some time-lapse photos.

Hospital wise, walk nicely to that lady, and whisper in her ears. My so on so is dying, it's her final wish to be photographed with his/her family. Sorry for the inconvenience~

pandaming said...

woooo burnn.... imagine what that hospi security would say (or not say.) nice try, FT.

now let's see you try it.